BACKGROUND: The Nica Rustica carries the name and image of “El Brujito,” an ancient term meaning shaman or witch doctor to the people of Estelí, Nicaragua, where the cigars are made. The colorful box features a detachable lid with a notch, meant to be hung in a cigar store or in a man cave.
The cigar uses a USA Connecticut Broadleaf “mediums” wrapper, as compared to “darks” for the Liga Privada No. 9. The binder is a Mexican San Andres Negro (the same type used as wrapper on the Undercrown), while the fillers are Nicaraguan, from Estelí and Jalapa.
Nica Rustica has a consumer-friendly suggested retail price of $6.95 per stick. This week’s featured cigar comes in just one size: a 6 inch by 52 ring gauge Toro.
FEATURED LIBATION: The Macallan 12-year Single Malt Scotch
I’ve featured plenty of Macallan on this show, but never the 12-year. I’ve featured the Macallan Elegancia, the Cask Strength, the 18-year and the 21-year, but not the 12-year. In many ways, the 12-year is the perfect introduction to scotch whisky. It has plenty of age, and yet is approachable in both taste and price point.
WHAT’S BEEN HAPPENING AT STOGIE FRESH?
• Question from StogieFresh.info reader, Dan. What is responsible for the gold flecks that you sometimes see on wrapper leaves?
• Another question came in this past week from Stogie Fresh 5 listener Clay. Why are premium cigars hard to find in Honduras?
• Update to Stogie Rate for Desktop. Version 4.3 is the first update in nearly 2 years. Stogie Rate 4.3 for desktop is the best cigar inventory software for both PC and Macs.
• Update on Stogie Rate for iOS. Version 2.2 is now available and is ready for download at the iTunes store.
• Reviews of New Age Hygrometers are now available on StogieFresh.info in the Humidor EDU section.
DOC’S CIGAR POSTSCRIPT: Headley Grange Estupendo
This review features the Headley Grange Estupendo from the Crowned Heads cigar company. I first featured these cigars in Episode 341 of the Stogie Fresh 5 podcast back on Sunday, December 09, 2012. These cigars have been waiting for 1 year, 2 months and 19 days for this second and final postscript review.